WHY BOILERS NEED REGULAR SERVICING
It’s a fact that most of us, with a busy household to run, don’t spare much thought for the health of the boiler which works away in the background, providing us with hot water on tap and heat when we need it.
Here at Boost Plumbing, though, boilers in Bristol, Bath and the surrounding areas are our business, so we are all too aware of how to keep them happy and healthy for as long as possible. One of the most vital requirements for preventing inconvenient and ill-timed boiler breakdown, and prolonging the lifespan of your boiler, is regular servicing.
An annual boiler service in Bristol or Bath will ensure it is combusting fuel safely and efficiently, minimising the hazard of leaking gas and keeping your gas bill down. Regular services also help validate any manufacturer’s warranty you may have on your boiler, and gives the opportunity to spot any imminent faults that might develop into a boiler breakdown.
THOROUGH ANNUAL BOILER SERVICE
A boiler service or boiler health check should be made at least once a year (preferably during late summer) by a qualified registered Gas Safe engineer, like those employed by Boost Plumbing.
Our boiler services in Bristol and Bath take around 30 to 45 minutes, and we are happy to provide a written report at the end of the boiler service if you require it.
During a boiler service we make a visual check of the appliance and flame; check on the flue inside and on the exterior; check the operating pressure and heat input; check safety devices and all the seals; remove the boiler casing to check the main components such as the burner and heat exchanger; check that the boiler fires safely; and clean any parts where this is necessary.
BOILER MAINTENANCE TIPS
Broken boilers are expensive to repair and replace, so it’s worth looking after your boiler in Bristol or Bath with the help of the friendly, professional Boost Plumbing team.
Our Gas Safe engineers recommend that householders keep an eye on their boiler so that small issues can be found and dealt with before they turn into costly breakdowns.
Here are some things you can do with our help to keep your boiler in good shape:
- Check the pressure gauge now and then – it should be between 1 and 2 bar. If it’s too low or too high, give us a call.
- Keep your radiators uniformly warm by bleeding off trapped air, and keep them balanced so they heat evenly throughout your home. We’re happy to help achieve this.
- If your radiators are hot at the top but cold at the bottom, you may have a buildup of sediment and dirt that will also be eating into your gas bill. A powerflush is called for.
- Check your boiler flame stays blue – if it turns orange or yellow there could be a carbon monoxide leak.
- Don’t cover your boiler or house it too close to a wall or obstruction – it needs to be well ventilated.
- Keep an eye on the external overflow pipe and if it drips water, get in an engineer.
Above all, remember that boilers are specialised gas appliances that can be dangerous if not handled correctly, so it is very unwise to try to repair a boiler yourself unless you are a Gas Safe registered heating engineer.